Thursday, August 30, 2007

Memories...

What DO you do with old high school formal dresses? My daughter has at least a half dozen or more dresses from dances that have been hanging in the closet in our guest bedroom. I finally took them to the laundromat, where she works, because one of her cousins was looking for a dress to borrow. The cousin ended up not borrowing any of them and they're still hanging at the laundromat. My daughter only wants to keep two of them and wants me to take the rest of them back home...what am I going to do with them? She claims she doesn't have room to have them hanging at her house, which she doesn't, but seriously, why are we even keeping them? She just can't bear to part with them, I guess. There used to be a dress bank at the high school for girls who couldn't afford to buy prom dresses. The only problem was that all the dresses got borrowed and never returned. At one point in time I had a basket full of gloves, shawls and wraps that I finally took to the Goodwill. We had such fun shopping for her dresses and accessories, maybe that's the problem with getting rid of them. It makes it all seem so final that she's not a little girl anymore and she's all grown up. Guess the wedding and three kids should have been my first clue huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could contact Vicki Sawyer at the SHS. At least a couple of years ago she was collecting used formals and creating a "dress rack" for girls who couldn't afford to buy a dress for a prom/dance.
OR...you could see if the drama department would want to add them to their costume wardrobe closet.
I've actually done that. It's fun attend a show and see a dress you've donated.

Anonymous said...

it's funny that you posted this. i've been going through closets trying to get things cleaned out since our move here...and i have TONS of prom dresses AND bridesmaid dresses! what to do with them? i think i'll call the high school--that's a good idea.

:)

Anonymous said...

I saw a beautiful quilt in a magazine once made of bride's maids dresses. This would be a useful keepsake for formal dresses you can't bear to part with.

anita said...

oh julia, that's an awesome idea! if jenny'll let me cut them up. I was just thinking, also, maybe I could cut them up and use the fabric to make dresses for my granddaughters! oh the inspiration here...