Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Household hint for the day!

I love a good bargain, I take after my mom that way...(hi mom!)

So, here's my household hint for the day...

I usually buy dishwasher detergent at Costco. I love those big buckets you can buy for only around $10.00 or $12.00. However, the scoop they give you is WAY too big. You really don't need that much detergent to wash a load of dishes. I always toss it in the garbage and then use a 1/4 cup measuring cup. It's plenty of detergent for a load of dishes.

Also...and here's the good part!....I mix 2 parts of dishwashing detergent, with 1 part baking soda and 1 part Borax; you know, the 20 Mule Team stuff. I have a smaller container that I put it in, under my kitchen sink, with the measuring cup, and that's what I wash my dishes with. It gets the dishes clean and it ends up costing way less than just using the dishwashing detergent alone. The bucket I have from Costco was purchased back in January or February and is still 1/3 full. I figure at the rate I'm going, it will probably last me a year!

Now granted, there are only two of us living in this house, and I make it a point to only run my dishwasher every other day. Any extra dishes get washed by hand, but usually, there aren't any extra dishes. Anyone with more than two people living in their house will probably use their dishwasher more, but still, it's a way to save money, and every little bit counts!

Proverbs 14:1 (NIV)

The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.




No comments: