Friday, August 24, 2007

Another Josiah-ism

In the car the other day, on the way to McDonald's for breakfast (no, I didn't have a Diet Coke!) Josiah, my grandson, who is half-Mexican, and I, were having a talk.
He told me, Mexicans don't know God.
Yes, they do, I said. It doesn't matter if you're Mexican or American, or what country you're from, you can still know God.
But, Mexicans speak Spanish, he said. How can God understand them if they don't speak English?
God knows all languages, I explained to him, he made all languages, and he can understand anybody who talks to him.
I went on to say, maybe when you grow up, you will be a missionary, and then you can go to Mexico and tell people about God.
No, I don't speak good enough Spanish, he answered. They won't understand ME.
Well, I said, then you'll have to learn to speak Spanish better.
No, he said, I don't want to live in Mexico.
Okay, then, maybe you'll just be able to tell people about God here.
Okay, he said, that's a good idea.


Proverbs 22:6 (The Message)

Point your kids in the right direction— when they're old they won't be lost.


No comments: