Wednesday, August 29, 2007

another critter

I have a bad habit. I love to sleep with our bedroom door and front bedroom window open at night. I need that cool night air to get a restful night's sleep; without it I feel like I'm suffocating. Since our bedroom is on the second floor of our house, I've never considered it a danger issue. Until now.

The night before last my husband had already gone upstairs to get ready for bed. He was in the master bathroom and all the lights in our bedroom were turned off. I headed into our room with the intent of getting ready for bed when I noticed something flitting around in the darkness..darn moths, I thought to myself. They're everywhere lately.

Then I realized, wait a minute...that's a really large moth...no, that's not a moth, it's a bat! I let out a scream and that sucker proceeded to dive bomb me! I ran out the bedroom door with the bat in hot pursuit. I slammed the door behind me, trapping it in our bedroom. At this point, my husband was still in the bathroom, wondering, no doubt, what was going on. I hollered at him that there was a bat in our room, and I WAS NOT coming back in, until he did something about it.

Exactly what do you want me to do? he hollered back.

get rid of it, I yelled!

mike?

hon?

is it gone? did you get it?

time ticked by, with no response...

Finally, what seemed like an eternity later, but was actually probably only a few minutes...the bedroom door opened. My hubby stood there with bathroom rug in hand and a look of victory on his face..

did you get it?

Yea, it's gone, he said.

you sure?

Yep.

what did you do? did you hit it with the rug?

Nope. He said. Just turned on all the lights and it flew out the door.

I no longer sleep with my bedroom door and drapes open. I now run a fan at night. My hubby insists that we can leave the door open, as long as the drapes are closed, and no more bats will come in. I'm not so sure of that.

And by the way...this is the third time this has happened in three years! You'd think I would have learned the first time.


Genesis 1:24 (The Message)

God spoke: "Earth, generate life! Every sort and kind:
cattle and reptiles and wild animals—all kinds."
And there it was:
wild animals of every kind,
Cattle of all kinds, every sort of reptile and bug.
God saw that it was good.

3 comments:

Dave said...

If you stretch real hard there's a really good spiritual lesson here.

Those things were fear in the dark, disappear when they are exposed to the light. Or when Mike's around.

I know it's a stretch. Way to go Mike!

Unknown said...

Dave... deep, i like it.

I also had a invasion like that. Only it was in my chimney - you know, the metal ones for propane stoves. I think it got trapped in there after an unfortunate collision with the vent at the top. Anyway, it was in there for a couple days. I started a fire for a few minutes in hopes the heat would flush it out - it didn't. I had to disassemble the chimney to get rid of it.

anita said...

dave: i read a saying just a couple days ago...don't fear the shadows, it means there's a light nearby. it's a comfort.


jeremy: ay yi yi...was it still alive when you got rid of it?