Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Laundry Room

See that list on the right? down there towards the bottom? the one that says "Projects I am Working on"? Now see the one that says "remodeling the laundry room".

It's been there since I made the list almost three months ago.

It's been on MY list for 2 1/2 years. That's when we started remodeling our house. Why is it you can build an entire house in a few months, but you can't remodel one in 2 1/2 years?

This project actually started for two reasons:

#1. My hubby, in a fit of domestic endeavor, decided to vacuum BEHIND the refrigerator. The refrigerator is a side-by-side with water and ice dispenser. In his enthusiasm, he pulled the refrigerator away from the wall, unknowingly dislodging the connection to the water, which leaked under the solid oak flooring, unnoticed by anyone, until several days later, at which point the floors were wet from the bottom up, split and cupped. The insurance company paid to replace them. This was about 5 years ago and we finally decided to do something about it. It should be noted that in my house I consider the vacuum to be a "power tool", thus insuring my hubby will always want to participate in the use of it!

#2. We have what is commonly referred to as a "bonus room". When we built our house we placed the stairs to the bonus room in the garage, thinking that when our kids went to college they could come home and have their own apartment up there, OR, when if we retire, we could rent out the room as an apartment, supplementing our income and allowing us to have someone watch the house and do the yard work while we traveled. Bad idea. Every time we wanted to go up and watch a movie on the big screen in the bonus room, we had to go out into the dark, cold, always-messy garage. Basically, it went unused. Except when an adult child would move home and destroy it take it over. I wanted a hallway punched through from the main house, the hubby wanted a new big screen.

Naturally, the first project to get finished was the bonus room. The wood floors downstairs are still unrepaired/replaced. The insurance money is long gone. The refinancing money is long gone. So now I tarry on, doing the rest of the remodeling myself, as much as I am physically able to, one room at a time, my first project being the laundry room.

So far I scraped the wallpaper border, patched, sanded, textured and painted the walls, and chose and contracted for new tile counter tops. All that's left to do is to replace the laundry tub. Therein lies the problem. I've been waiting weeks and week for the laundry tub to get reinstalled. With the new tile on the counter and back splash, the sink no longer fits in the opening. It needs to have 1/4" trimmed off the side. My hubby won't do it and claims he will have his brother (one of our employees) come and take care of it, any day now. I'm still waiting and I've basically given up any hope of that ever happening. I'm trying to hire someone. It's all that's left to be done and my laundry room will be finished. I'm having problems moving on to the next room until it's done...it's not in my nature to leave a project unfinished.

At this rate, it may be another 2 1/2 years before this house is done. Then it'll be time to start over again!

1 comment:

Julia said...

It seems like such a simple, small(1/4 inch small)thing. I'm hoping it happens SOON.