Friday, June 27, 2008

the trip

The housesitter is at the house, and all is well.

Today we went to the Sea Lion Caves in Florence, Oregon. Frankly, I got a bigger kick out of watching the sea lions out on the rocks from the pull-out we stopped at yesterday, than from the $26 we paid going down the 200' elevator into the cave, with about a 20' span of fenceline, overlooking the actual cave. We were told there were about 200 sea lions in the cave this morning, but actually it was more like 30. It was fine, fun for the grandson, but much more commercialized than I remembered it being.

After that we went to The Dunes. I stayed in the trailer and wrote and read, while the hubby and grandson rented a dune buggy and went for a ride. They had a great time and some day we hope to come back again and stay for a few days.

Tonight we are staying in Cape Blanco and who knows where we will be tomorrow.

My only disappointment so far is that I really want to just stay at a campground on the beach and we haven't been able to find one. I was able to go online tonight (obviously) and found what is supposed to be a great campground...back up by Florence. Oh well, live and learn. I guess I should have researched things more before we left, but frankly, we weren't sure where we were going to go.

Our daughter has given us strict instructions to have the boy back by the 4th of July, so they can celebrate his birthday. Although the hubby is objecting to this time table, I am insistent that we abide by it. That'll give us a day to clean up the trailer, get the mail, pay the bills, and then head out again. I'm still struggling with not feeling well, but the hubby and I both came to the same conclusion that the problem right now is with the new trailer. We've been leaving the windows and doors open as much as possible, in order to air out the trailer of all of the "newness"...i.e. toxic fumes from construction. It's giving me a headache and sore throat every night and last night I was awake from 3:30 until 7:00 a.m. Hopefully my exhaustion, combined with some Benadryl, will help me sleep tonight.

I have no idea what we are doing tomorrow or where we are headed. The hubby wants to continue south to the redwoods, but I am ready to go east and visit my parents. He thinks we can do both, but I'm not sure we have the time. I guess we will have to map it out tomorrow and do some planning, for once on this trip!

No comments: