Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lupine

I am becoming obsessed with my yard. For the last ten years it has been ignored, except for mowing and trimming. The plants are all overgrown, there is no bark left to speak of, and all the beds are full of grass and weeds.

I've spent hours and hours this spring, working on the flower beds around our house, hoping I could get them all cleaned up this summer. So far I'm almost 3/4 of the way done; much further along than I thought I would be at this point in time.
I keep getting distracted though, by purchasing new plants! I told my daughter today that I'd rather be spending money on plants than on counseling, and at this point I think my gardening is more therapeutic!

One of my beds is being turned from a rose bed into a perennial bed, with a few roses mixed in. I have the weeds all pulled, the roses pruned and the soil all tilled up. The fresh-dug dirt keeps begging for new plants, and who am I to resist?
It's probably not a good thing, though, to spend one's gas money on Lupine! There are so many of these growing along the highway that I wanted to just stop one evening and dig up a few! but I didn't. The DOT would probably frown on that idea.

There are also some amazing deep purple iris' growing in someone's yard not far from here. I wouldn't mind some of those, either!

No comments: