Friday, October 19, 2007

My closet

I've been thinking a lot lately about clothes. I have a closet full of clothes, most of which I don't wear. Some of which don't fit, some of which are out of season (winter/summer), some of which I don't particularly like, but which are still in good condition, and some of which I just really don't need. I also have a rubbermaid tub full of clothes that are mostly too small. Most of them are in really good shape, because they were only worn a few times (!), and I don't want to get rid of them, just in case they ever fit again.

A while back I came across a blog called Little Brown Dress. The author designed and sewed herself a brown dress which she wore EVERY DAY for a year, with various accessories to mix things up a bit...a shirt underneath, tights, a sweater over the top, you get the picture. She found it liberating to not have to dig through a myriad of clothing to decide what to wear.

Our laundromat offers drop off laundry service. People can drop off their dirty clothes and we wash, dry, fold and bag the clothing, charge by the pound, and it's ready to be picked up later that day. We have several regular customers, mostly single men who don't like to do laundry. My daughter, who is the manager, was telling me last week about one of our customers who comes in once a week and always drops off the same clothing: six pairs of pants, six pairs of socks, six pairs of underwear, and six shirts. It's his laundry for the week, and I guess it's all he owns, plus the outfit he's wearing. She says it's the same thing, every week. Now how easy does that sound? Kinda reminds me of the underwear you can get with Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...etc. printed on them.

Although I'm not looking to go to those extremes, I'm thinking that it's time to clean my closet. Do I really need to keep all of those clothes that don't fit? Do I really need to keep all of the clothes hanging in my closet that I don't really even like? I tend to be fairly neat and organized, and usually I keep my closet the same way, but, I think maybe it's time for a purge.

No comments: