Saturday, March 15, 2008

gas

I am absolutely flabbergasted at the cost of gas. This week I filled up my car twice, at a cost of over $50 each time. One day I actually saw the price of gas go up $.03 from the time I drove into town and passed the Chevron station, to the time I drove home a couple hours later. When I filled up my tank two days ago I paid over $3.50 a gallon.

I drive a 2001 Chevy Blazer. It gets 17-20 mpg. I've been trying, really hard, not to drive so much and to stay home more, but it's absolutely impossible to stay home all the time. In fact, I've actually had
more appointments and things I've had to go to that are out of town than I usually do. (and I'm not talking hair appointments here!)

I've contemplated selling my car and getting a different one, but frankly, money-wise, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd get maybe $5000 for my car and then pay...how much for a different one? At least $10,000, and I could get an extra 10 mpg? I figure I'd save about $1600 a year on gas, but I'd spend at least an extra $5000 for the car. That means in 3+ years I'd break even. If I bought a more expensive car, which frankly, I would probably have to, it would take me even longer to get my money back.

No, the best solution to cutting back on gas expenses is to just not drive as much. Which means, frankly, that I'd better get my bike and my walking shoes out, and start using them for some of my local errands.

On the good side, besides saving money on gas and helping the environment, I'll also save $42.00 a month in health club fees! (which I never use anyway.)

No comments: