Thursday, November 15, 2007

Library

Last night I went to the library. Have I mentioned how much I love the library? I remember when I was a kid riding my bike to the library, which was really just one small, dark room with no windows and shelves along the walls up as high as I could reach. There was a desk that the librarian sat at and I loved the little stamps she used, especially the date stamp that you had to change every day to show the date the books were due back. I wished many a time that I could work at that library. To be able to spend my time sitting and reading books and helping other people find books to read, too...ah, what a great job!

At times I would forget to return my library books, and there were always fines to be paid. After a couple of times of paying late fines, I realized that if I just kept the books long enough; say, several months, the librarian would feel sorry for me and not charge me a fine at all! The only problem with this plan, was that I couldn't return to the library to check out any other books, until I returned the ones that were already overdue!

So, last night a book that I had ordered a couple months ago came in, and I went and picked it up. On my way out the door, I browsed through the "free magazine" box and (jackpot!) found several Country Living magazines, just waiting for me to pick them up and take them home! Thank you whoever left them there!

Have I said how much I love the library? If they only had chairs as comfortable as Barnes and Noble!

3 comments:

Julia said...

Once I got a HUGE stack of free magazines, and I was paging through them having a nice, quiet afternoon then,
DEAD MOUSE!!!
Right in the middle of my magazine!!

anita said...

oh my gosh! i'm so sick at the thought of that!

Julia said...

It was traumatic